When you cook popcorn at home, using oil helps it retain moisture and prevents it from burning.
People often use coconut oil because it is healthy, but there are a lot of different oils that you can use. Olive oil is a great option. Whether you cook popcorn on a stovetop, in an air fryer, or the microwave, you can use olive oil to make the perfect snack.
Can You Use Olive Oil to Make Popcorn?
When you cook popcorn on the stove top, olive oil is one of the healthiest oils. Olive oil is a great cooking oil because it is high in monounsaturated fats, and they are good for you. It helps you to reduce your chances of cancer and high cholesterol because it has a phytochemical content. These phytochemicals are often in plant-based foods and are good for you.
You can choose extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, or light-flavored olive oil. You will get more flavor from the extra virgin variety from the popcorn. It is one of the best options for cooking because it is good for you.
How to Use Olive Oil to Make Popcorn
It is pretty simple to use olive oil when you make your popcorn. Using oil in some form is essential because it helps prevent the kernels from burning after they pop.
You use olive oil in the usual way when making popcorn. Using the stove top is one of the best ways however you can also use an Air Fryer or Microwave.
How to make popcorn with Oilive Oil using a stove
Gather your ingredients and equipment
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt or seasoning (optional)
- A large pan with a lid
Heat the pan on the stove
- Place the pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and let it heat for a minute or two until it becomes hot.
- You’ll know it’s ready if when you add two kernels to the pan, they pop
Add the popcorn kernels.
- Remove the pan from the heat
- Pour the popcorn kernels into the hot oil in the pan.
- Leave off the heat for one minute to prime the kernels
- Return the pan to the heat
Wait for the kernels to pop!
- Keep the lid a little tipped so you can smell any smoke
- If there is smoke your heat is too high, reduce it
- If popcorn overflows remove it to a bowl
- Listen for the popping sounds to slow down to about 2-3 seconds between pops. This indicates that most of the kernels have popped.
Season and enjoy
- Drizzle with more olive oil if you like or season with your favorite toppings
- Enjoy your popcorn
You should always use a good pot because flimsy pots won’t distribute the heat evenly, and you can end up with some burnt popcorn and popcorn that isn’t popped. Make sure that you keep the burner on medium heat, and if you notice any smoke, you need to turn it down because your popcorn will taste burnt.
Best Choices for Oil for Popcorn
Although you can use many different oils to pop popcorn, olive oil is the healthiest choice. You can also use coconut oil, which is what movie theaters use. This will give your popcorn a buttery, movie theater flavor. You can also use canola oil or other vegetable oils, but it is often processed. Good options include avocado oil, safflower oil, and grapeseed oil.
The key is to choose the healthiest cooking oil so that you can enjoy your popcorn snack anytime. Cooking popcorn on the stovetop and using a healthy, high-quality oil can be a nutritious snack.
Can You Use Olive Oil in the Air Popper?
A great way to make popcorn is with an air popper. You can use uncooked kernels and then drizzle them with olive oil. You only need a few tablespoons of olive oil, which is quite delicious. Some people think it tastes better than buttery popcorn!
Cook your popcorn in the air popper. You don’t need to use the oil. You can also pop it in the microwave in a brown paper bag.
Once it is popped, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
Add olive oil and toss the popcorn. You can keep adding the olive oil until you have as much as you want.