Canola oil is a great oil to make popcorn in. It’s particularly good when you want to make stovetop popcorn as it has a high smoking point.
There are lots of different oils you can use to make popcorn, and it’s a bit of a minefield trying to work out which one is the best.
But let us take the pressure off you as we’re about to tell you all about making popcorn with canola oil, including the benefits and risks.
How Much Oil Do You Use for 1 Cup of Popcorn?
You’ll need between 3 and 4 tablespoons of canola oil to cook 1 cup of popcorn. This should be enough canola oil to cover the bottom of your pan so that the popcorn doesn’t stick and burn.
What’s the Best Way to Make Popcorn With Canola Oil?
The Cleveland Clinic says that canola oil is one of the best oils you can use when making popcorn on the stovetop.
Stovetop popcorn is very easy to make, as you’ll see from our below instructions:
- Put 2 tbsp of canola oil into a large pot on medium heat.
- Throw in a couple of popcorn kernels and put the lid on. When they pop, the canola oil is at the perfect temperature.
- Put ½ cup of popcorn kernels into the pot and put the lid on.
- Occasionally shake the pot.
- When the popping slows to one pop every few seconds, it’s time to remove the pot from the heat.
- Pour the popcorn into your serving bowl.
- Add your favorite popcorn flavorings or toppings to your popcorn, such as hot sauce, cheddar cheese, caramel, or a salt substitute.
What are the Benefits of Using Canola Oil to Make Popcorn?
- High smoke point – canola oil has a smoke point of 400°F. 96% of popcorn kernels pop at a temperature of 356°F. At this temperature, canola oil won’t burn or smoke, which is what makes it the ideal oil for cooking popcorn in.
- It’ll taste just like popcorn from the movies – there’s something about movie theater popcorn that you just can’t beat. If you want to replicate it in your own home, use canola oil as most movie theaters pop their corn in it.
- Smooth texture – canola oil has a smooth, light texture. It won’t weigh down your popcorn or leave a thick, oily taste in your mouth when you eat it.
- It’s accessible – you’ll find canola oil for sale in almost every grocery store. It’s very easy to get hold of, so you can rest assured that you’ll always be able to make fresh popcorn at home.
Do You Add Salt Before or After Popping Popcorn?
Salting popcorn before popping it in canola oil is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.
Your popcorn will be tough and chewy if you do this. After you’ve followed our recipe for making popcorn with canola oil, you can season it with as much salt as you like, sit back, and munch away on it.
Is Canola Oil Healthy?
Canola oil is considered a healthy oil because of the type of fats that it does and doesn’t contain.
Before you start popping your popcorn in canola oil, let’s find out what makes it such a healthy option:
- Contains monounsaturated fat – monounsaturated fats are a healthy type of fat. They improve your cholesterol levels and help to prevent major health issues, including heart disease and strokes.
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids – omega-3 fatty acids can prevent blood clots, and heart disease, fight depression, ward off autoimmune conditions, and keep your eyes healthy.
- Contains omega-6 fatty acids – we need omega-6 fatty acids to keep our hair and skin healthy. They also keep the brain functioning properly and help to maintain bone health.
- Rich in vitamins E and K – we need vitamin E to keep our skin looking and feeling healthy. It’s also good for banishing hyperpigmentation marks and wrinkles. Vitamin K plays a very important role in blood clotting and builds and maintains bone structure.
- Can reduce belly fat – one study found that switching to canola oil could lead to a 1.6% loss in belly fat in just 4 weeks.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits – canola oil contains antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation in the body and relieve pain and stiffness in the joints. Cold-pressed canola oil has the most anti-inflammatory benefits as fewer antioxidants are lost during processing.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease – there is less saturated fat in canola oil than in other oils. Saturated fat increases your chances of developing high cholesterol and heart disease. By choosing to cook your popcorn in canola oil, you lower this risk.
What Does Canola Oil Taste Like?
Canola oil has a mild, neutral taste which is what makes it great for cooking popcorn in. When you pop popcorn in canola oil you haven’t got to worry about the flavor of canola oil overpowering it. It also means you can put absolutely any topping on your popcorn without the taste of the oil ruining it.
Are There Any Disadvantages of Making Popcorn With Canola Oil?
Like most things, there are some risks to be aware of if you choose to cook popcorn with canola oil. These include:
- It May affect your cognitive abilities – regularly eating canola oil may impact your working memory, according to studies. So, it may be best to rotate the type of oil you cook popcorn in.
- Could lower your lifespan – animal studies have found that canola oil reduces their lifespan compared to other oils.
- Plays a role in the development of type 2 diabetes – researchers believe that canola oil increases insulin resistance which is what puts you at risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Increases blood pressure – if you’re one of the 47% of Americans with hypertension, then you should avoid eating popcorn cooked in canola oil. Studies have found that canola oil consumption can increase blood pressure in people with hypertension in just a few weeks.
Choosing which oil to cook your popcorn in can be a tricky one. Canola oil is well-known for being used in many movie theaters and is an excellent choice for popcorn lovers.
Hopefully, this article has told you all you need to know about canola oil, so that you can make an informed decision about whether it’s the right type of oil for you and your popcorn.
Check out how to make chocolate popcorn next.
Can you use canola oil for popcorn?
Yes, you can use canola oil for popcorn. Canola oil is a popular cooking oil that is often used in making popcorn because it has a mild flavor and a high smoke point, which means it can be heated to a high temperature without smoking or burning. When making popcorn with canola oil, you can use the same method as you would with other oils such as vegetable oil or coconut oil.
Is canola oil good for popcorn?
Canola oil can be a good option for making popcorn, as it has a neutral flavor and a high smoke point, which means it can withstand high temperatures without smoking or burning.